Wednesday 23 October 2013

There's nothing quite like it....

Mud provides extra challenge in the nursery
So after lucking out with the weather for Snowshill Apple weekend , having Tuesdays session with the Wildlife Trust cancelled due to heavy rain, it was fingers crossed for Sherborne today. Well seems my luck is holding as the weather gods seemed to be in a good mood. Fortunately the recent wet weather has meant I now travel well prepared with waterproofs, wellies etc. Just as well I had my wellingtons on hand as  the day was to be spent in the Nursery producing wood supplies in deep mud. Deliveries were to Windrush and our first to the Sherborne village shop where the owners were so impressed with the amount of wood delivered for the first load, concluded that the additional load they ordered was not necessary. Not a problem for Mike as the unwanted load was to get a deserving local home. Further loads were used to top up the wood store which is slowly filling up for the winter demands.

Autumnal colours on show at Sherborne

In the fine weather I spent my lunch in the Pleasure Grounds where I was surprised to see a Comma butterfly and then I bumped into a number of walkers enjoying the balmy conditions. I had chance for a quick look at  Sherborne Brook where I spotted a lone egret , the usual heron, lots of mallards & gulls and to my delight the swan family parents minus their offspring plus a lone swan upstream of the weir. The 50+ canada geese we spotted flying in formation, from the Nursery, were not there so must be enjoying a rest down in the Water Meadows.

This NT press communication could offer a ray of hope on much needed support for our environment from farmers, this being linked to the imminent decision by Owen Patterson/DEFRA on how the CAP funding is used. Wildlife Trust also produced this communication on the same subject, I like the picture of the hare!.

No comments:

Post a Comment