Wednesday 19 June 2013

Back in the saddle

Two for one at Greystones

Fit-ish again so attended a Wildlife Trust session at Birdland Bourton removing Balsam, an aggressive annual which has a sizeable impact on more beneficial existing plant life. Good to be doing conservation stuff again with the enthusiastic volunteer team led by Will & Richard. It was a short task {primarily because of the good work done last year} and the work completed not long after midday. As  Greystones nature reserve was not far away I decided to pop in and see if I could spot a water vole or two on the river Eye. I enjoyed a relaxing walk through the meadows where the plant growth was impressive since my last visit. The only wildlife I spotted consisted of three springer spaniels enjoying a dip into the river Eye to retrieve the balls their owner had thrown there. I followed the path by the river Eye back to Greystones but no sign of water voles although I did spot some impressive looking blue dragonflies though, the demoiselles . Quite close to the reserve boundary and the Mink platform, just before I was about to turn away from the river,  I was served up with an even better treat. Sitting on a dead branch which jutted out over the river was not one but two Kingfishers. They allowed me to observe them with my binos but drew the line at the point I tried to reach for my telephoto. No complaints from me and a great way to end the day.


7 of 9 not Star Trek Voyager, but Sherborne style!

Lots to catch up with today at Sherborne after my enforced break. It was to prove a very hot day starting in the morning with gardening duties at 61 and then Northfields car park. Was treated to an interesting break when Mike took me over to the recently started Archaeological dig at the East end of the village. Work had progressed well on revealing the foundations of what looks like the Saxon church {1300s} which marked the initial beginnings of medieval Sherborne! Look forward to seeing the output from this work due to complete 30 June. Bumped into Richard and John from the Wildlife Trust where Mike exchanged more current news with them before they left to continue their good work in the water meadows. Lunchtime proved to be another bonus down by the Sherborne brook. While I had been away the swans had been busy with 9 cygnets an impressive outcome. They were naturally wary of my presence but allowed me to take a few pics. Not to be outdone one of the Tufted duck pairs were showing off their 7 chocolate brown chicks. Further upstream a heron was busy fishing and as I looked into the clear water up by the weir there were some large trout all good news if you like fish. On the way back from lunch a red kite provided a low fly by over the field by the brook, not a bad lunch break for wildlife.

Guilty of malicious damage!


Tree guards for the new elms
Following lunch, after some good local engagement consultancy with one of the villagers, we were to carry on the work Mike had begun on building tree guards for the Elms we planted before my injury. Amazingly local sheep had taken a fancy to some of the 'unguarded' Elms , eaten through the tree protectors and then the Elm saplings. Not what was expected from sheep so priority on getting the tree guards in place had risen to the top of the list. The hot weather , an unhelpful Maddie and biting insects all helped to increase the challenge in this work so still plenty left to do. Ended the day back at the Sherborne offices where I took in the newly completed restoration of the dry stone wall, scaffolding still to be removed.


No comments:

Post a Comment